Rule 22 – Payment into and out of Court
22.01 In this Rule,
“Accountant” means the Accountant of the Superior Court of Justice; (“comptable”)
“clerk” means the clerk in the location where the proceeding was commenced. (“greffier”) O. Reg. 400/12, s. 2.
Non-Application of Rule
22.02 This Rule does not apply to money paid or to be paid into court,
(a) under an order or proposal for payment made under rule 9.03;
(b) under an offer to settle a claim in return for the payment of money; or
(c) for the enforcement of an order for the payment or recovery of money under Rule 20, including enforcement by garnishment. O. Reg. 400/12, s. 2.
Payment into Court
22.03 (1) Subject to subrule (7), a party who is required to pay money into court shall do so in accordance with subrules (2) to (6). O. Reg. 400/12, s. 2.
Filing with Clerk or Accountant
(2) The party shall file the following documents with the clerk or the Accountant:
1. If the payment into court is under a statutory provision or rule, a written request for payment into court that refers to that provision or rule.
2. If the payment into court is under an order, a written request for payment into court and a copy of the order that bears the court’s seal. O. Reg. 400/12, s. 2.
(3) On receiving the documents required to be filed under subrule (2), the clerk or Accountant shall give the party a direction to receive the money, addressed to a bank listed in Schedule I or II to the Bank Act (Canada) and specifying the account in the Accountant’s name into which the money is to be paid. O. Reg. 400/12, s. 2.
Clerk to Forward Documents
(4) If the documents are filed with the clerk, the clerk shall forward the documents to the Accountant. O. Reg. 400/12, s. 2.
(5) On receiving the direction referred to in subrule (3), the party shall pay the money into the specified bank account in accordance with the direction. O. Reg. 400/12, s. 2.
(6) On receiving the money, the bank shall give a receipt to the party paying the money and immediately send a copy of the receipt to the Accountant. O. Reg. 400/12, s. 2.
Payment to Accountant by Mail
(7) A party may pay money into court by mailing to the Accountant the applicable documents referred to in subrule (2), together with the money that is payable; the written request for payment into court referred to in that subrule shall include the party’s name and mailing address. O. Reg. 400/12, s. 2.
Accountant to Provide Receipt
(8) On receiving money under subrule (7), the Accountant shall send a receipt to the party paying the money. O. Reg. 400/12, s. 2.
Proof of Payment
(9) A party who pays money into court shall, immediately after receiving a receipt from the bank under subrule (6) or from the Accountant under subrule (8), as the case may be, send to every other party a copy of the receipt and file a copy of the receipt with the court. O. Reg. 400/12, s. 2.
Payment Out of Court
22.04 (1) Money may only be paid out of court under an order. O. Reg. 400/12, s. 2.
Documents to be Filed
(2) A person who seeks payment of money out of court shall file with the Accountant,
(a) a written request for payment out and supporting affidavit, in the form provided by the Ministry; and
(b) a copy of the order for payment out that bears the court’s seal. O. Reg. 400/12, s. 2.
Payment Out, Children’s Lawyer or Public Guardian and Trustee
(3) If the person seeking payment out is the Children’s Lawyer or the Public Guardian and Trustee,
(a) the written request need not be in the form provided by the Ministry and a supporting affidavit is not required; and
(b) a single written request that deals with more than one proceeding may be filed. O. Reg. 400/12, s. 2.
Payment Out, Minor Attaining Age of Majority
(4) Despite subrule (2), money in court to which a party is entitled under an order once the party attains the age of majority may be paid out to the party on filing with the Accountant, in the forms provided by the Accountant,
(a) a written request for payment out; and
(b) an affidavit proving the identity of the party and that the party has attained the age of majority. O. Reg. 400/12, s. 2.
(5) If the requirements of subrule (2) or (4), as the case may be, are met, the Accountant shall pay the money to the person named in the order for payment out, and the payment shall include any accrued interest, unless a court orders otherwise. O. Reg. 400/12, s. 2.
22.05 This Rule applies to the payment into and out of court of money paid into court on and after the day on which Ontario Regulation 400/12 comes into force. O. Reg. 400/12, s. 2.
23. Omitted (provides for coming into force of provisions of this Regulation). O. Reg. 258/98, s. 23.